Adventure County Park
On October 20, 1959 the Department of Parks and Recreation purchased 15.52 acres of land for the purpose of building a recreational facility in the Southeast Whittier area. Adventure Park, formerly Gunn Avenue Park, was dedicated on May 31, 1962. The Department, as well as the Board of Supervisors, decided to rename this facility Adventure Park for its positive and inspiring influence on the surrounding community. Adding to what is considered one of the Department's strongest programming and volunteer- based facilities is the construction of a new gymnasium which opened in July 2004.