The Art Theatre originally opened in 1925 as a single screen silent movie house, complete with an orchestra pit, and pipe organ. At that time, there were over 50 independent theatres in Long Beach, today only the Art remains. After the quake of 1933, the façade of the theatre was recreated in an art deco, streamline modern style. As years passed the theatre continued to undergo change as the world around it evolved. In 2008, a group of local investors purchased the theatre and completely remodeled it based on the 1933 blueprints. Since, the Art has once again become the center of Long Beach cinema, showing both first run and small independent films in a beautiful historic setting.