Director Matthew S. Robinson of BlackBalled: The rise and fall of Negro League Baseball. (Photo by Noel Moul)
BlackBalled: The rise and fall of Negro League Baseball, based on the true story of Negro League Baseball, is a new ensemble play by Matthew S. Robinson. Inspired by his own family history, Robinson delves into the peak of National Negro League (NNL) baseball, an "organization worth millions of dollars destroyed almost overnight" by the virtual usurping of talented players like Jackie Robinson by major league baseball.
In an interview at Oeno Vino Wines
of director Robinson, from his research and press notes the story follows NNL movers, shakers, and players, Effa Manley (Asia Pitts), co-owner/owner of the NNL Newark Eagles baseball franchise and "the first and thus far only woman inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame," Cumberland Posey (Alex Skinner) "the only man to be inducted into both the Baseball and Basketball Hall of Fame," Gus Greenlee (Twon Pope) the "first African American to own his own professional baseball field," Jackie Robinson (David Cork), the "first African American to break the infamous color barrier of Major League Baseball", and baseball player John Fletcher (Robbie DeVillez).
Performance dates are Sunday, June 3, 2018, at 6 p.m., Thursday, June 7, 2018, at 9 p.m., Thursday June 14, 2018, at 7:30 p.m., Saturday, June 16, 2018, at 7 p.m., and Saturday June 23, 2018, at 4:30 p.m. For tickets visit hff18.org/5051.
Podcast: Director, writer, and actor, Matthew S. Robinson, discussed his show BlackBalled: The rise and fall Of Negro League Baseball, with Monique A. LeBleu of Better Lemons, at the Oeno Vino Wine Bar in Atwater Village. Blackballed: The rise and fall of Negro League Baseball comes to The Complex (Ruby Theatre) for the Hollywood Fringe Festival, Saturday, June 3 - June 23, 2018.
Intro/outro: Backed Vibes by Kevin MacLeod
(Used via Creative Commons permissions licensing via YouTube)
more articles to inspire
- May 1, 2018 Fire, Glass-Walk With Me: A Revealing Interview With Vixen DeVille
- December 28, 2018 PODCAST: An Interview with Playwright Steven Vlasak of 'Nights at the Algonquin Round Table'
- December 18, 2018 Now Registered This Week on the Better Lemons Calendar – December 10 - 16, 2018
- August 16, 2018 PODCAST: An Interview with Director Jessica Lynn Johnson of 'Soaring Solo'
- July 12, 2018 PODCAST: An Interview with Richard Lucas of 'Bono and The Edge Waiting for Godominos'
- July 6, 2018 PODCAST: An interview with Ben Benjamins of "Buzz'd Out! Live!"
- April 28, 2018 Events now in our Calendar from April 20 - April 27, 2018